Welcome!

>> Tuesday, August 21, 2007

As a returning blogger, I am hoping to use this blog to facilitate some new uses. One being my new Nikon D40 that I'm going to try to use to finally improve and hone in on some of my photography skills. I definitely welcome and encourage your critique.



On a less boring note, I like to blog about trips and random happenings and there will surely be many to come in the next 2 years that I'm in graduate school at UVA. Real quick blurb- I graduated from Clemson in May 2005, moved to DC to "find myself" and eventually somehow found my way onto Capitol Hill. I applied to graduate school as I was approaching a year at my job and was accepted to UVA and Virginia Tech for a Masters in Urban Planning. I then had a very hard decision to make since I could have stayed in DC and began a great program at the VT campus near my house, or followed my dream to move to Charlottesville and become a Cavalier. It wasn't so much of a dream as a genuine love of the area and a craving to be near the mountains. Both schools had a lot to offer and finally as the last minute approached I chose UVA and started to plan my going away party.


The main reason I chose Planning was to be able to use my background in Psychology to work to improve the social environment that is found in diverse areas with high and low income residents. When I was young I was very involved in World Changers which was a revitalization ministry that improved not only the homes but focused on the well being and mental health of the residents. I also really enjoy the multifaceted career that comes with planning. Since I have looked more into this field, I have found myself more and more interested in city design, transportation, historic preservation and the environment and sustainability. Having a background in politics has helped to show me the importance of this field and the responsibility that all citizens hold to help those around us. I also still hope to one day work with international development projects, even if just short term. There is a lot of work to do in the U.S. still, but I would love to use my desire to travel to make a difference overseas.


In the next two years I expect to do an internship out West, preferably in Portland, Oregon, and study city design and planning in Venice, Italy. I will most likely use this blog to document my trips.


Also, as I am a very random person, I will definitely be posting about my weekly adventures. Interesting situations seem to find me and if I feel that they are appropriate enough to blog about online, you will be able to share them with me.

Finally, I hope to extend my thanks to my good friend, Peter Dorsch, for offering up the name to this fabulous new blog. Hope y'all enjoy!




3 comments:

Peter August 21, 2007 at 2:32 PM  

You rock! I will check this everyday!

Kristin August 21, 2007 at 6:07 PM  

Yay for a new blog! Fun name - I think mine would be "A Tiger Lost Amongst a Sea of Gators" - maybe I have something there, haha!

Derrick August 21, 2007 at 7:22 PM  

i used to have a blog going because i enjoy writing. it's still up but i just dont have the time for it anymore.

Follow me on twitter!

About Me

My photo
Tia Nicole Photography has launched this summer after many practice photo sessions and the encouragement of some dear friends and family ("Life Through Tia's Lens" was a recommendation of my good friend, Kristin, who has been an avid supporter the whole way through!). This blog has documented the process from the beginning and also dates back to some older rantings during grad school and football seasons. Feel free to get to know me and my work. I like to focus primarily on natural shots, true emotions and beautiful landscapes. I also absolutely adore kids and pets so you will find a good bit of my work in these areas. Feel free to contact me anytime! I love blog comments!

My pup, Rylynn!

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP