Sirens and such

>> Thursday, October 25, 2007

So, funny story. This morning I woke up to the BLARING sound of my smoke alarm (as well as every other smoke alarm in the house) at about 5:55 AM. It was the loudest, most shrilly noise I have ever heard in my life! (This coming from a person who has in the past actually slept through more than one smoke alarm). So, the first thing I think is that i did something in my dream to cause the alarm it to go off, and that I needed to go in the kitchen and grab a chair so that I can pull the thing out of the wall. Then I realized that it wasn't a dream and I would actually maybe need to vacate my house. Since I didn't smell smoke I guess I thought it was ok to go through all of my shoes in the dark (why turn on a light?) to find a matching pair, as well as some other needed clothing items. I then went upstairs to see what Joc and Jen thought of the whole thing and we stood in Jen's room talking about what to do for about 10 minutes! Good thing it wasn't an actual fire or we would have be SOL. So finally we decide to call the fire department since we couldn't do anything to make the alarm turn off. And then it finally occurred to us that there could be an electrical problem in the basement of our ginormous house that we had forgotten to check.

Finally the fire truck came, lights and sirens and all, to our quiet little dark house while we were bundled up in Jen's car outside. We had to wake our neighbor to let her know what the deal was.. since we knew there was no way in Hades that she could possibly not hear that noise.

The fireman finally concluded that there was a technical problem with the smoke detector in the basement and said there was no way he could turn it off. He actually asked Joc if she had a hammer and that he could probably just break it (aren't they supposed to at least have an axe or something?) Finally he put the detector in a cookie jar that was sitting in our basement and said we just needed to call the landlord and have it replaced.

So for the rest of the day my poor roommates had to deal with the broken alarm (albeit muffled) while I was at work here at Peyton house.

I find it all amusing since I have had an extremely sleep deprived week and a never ending paper that must be finished by tomorrow at 9:00 AM. Oh well, so is life! At least I get to hang out in DC this weekend with some really awesome people and hopefully watch my tigers pull out a big conference win! (sarcasm.. but sadly it might actually turn into a big conference win)

That's all. Back to the paper. Only 4 pages to go!

0 comments:

Follow me on twitter!

About Me

My photo
Tia Nicole Photography has launched this summer after many practice photo sessions and the encouragement of some dear friends and family ("Life Through Tia's Lens" was a recommendation of my good friend, Kristin, who has been an avid supporter the whole way through!). This blog has documented the process from the beginning and also dates back to some older rantings during grad school and football seasons. Feel free to get to know me and my work. I like to focus primarily on natural shots, true emotions and beautiful landscapes. I also absolutely adore kids and pets so you will find a good bit of my work in these areas. Feel free to contact me anytime! I love blog comments!

My pup, Rylynn!

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP