oh football

>> Thursday, September 11, 2008

10 Most Obnoxious Fan Bases

Clemson #6
Do you get the feeling that Clemson fans feel they belong in the SEC and tend to over-compensate for it? They call their stadium Death Valley and chant "Tiger bait" at visiting teams, but honestly, what have they done in the last 10 years? A golf championship in 2003? ("Spin that wedge! Sink that putt!") These SEC-wannabe fans are downright delusional. - Lisa Horne



Considering Nortre Dame, Michigan, Oklahoma, LSU, USC (the real USC), Ohio State, Alabama, Florida State and Florida were the other teams mentioned, I am not terribly upset that Clemson did end up in the top 10. At least we matter enough to be considered.. but then again I'm not to too thrilled with all of the commentary we have been receiving. I'm starting to feel a little embarrassed for being a college football fan. Rivalries are fun... head to head match ups between state rivals are even better... but when people start to show their true colors (such as in the comments of this article) it makes me not want to associate with the competitive sports world anymore.

Who knows... maybe it's just the nature of the internet these days that causes people to say whatever they want without any real fear retribution or punishment. But it's scary that they couldn't have said it without some (if not all) truth lying behind their statements.

And does sexism really still exist to this level? I know people joke around about women not knowing a lot about football.. but to deliberately comment on the incompetence of a female journalists??

There were SEVERAL comments like these-

This is the funniest thing I`ve seen. No one should take this seriously because Lisa Horne wrote all of these. A women...lol...wow.

Basically, almost all of the commentators proved how obnoxious of sports fans they actually are. For that reason, I'm a little sad that Clemson did make the list.. since I would like to believe that though our fans are very passionate, they are also kind. But then there are plenty of those that bring down our public image. It's amazing how many of these people usually have not even ever attended the universities that they are so obnoxious about. In that way, yes, I can see how football is kind of barbarian and seems to draw out the extreme machoism and (unfounded) arrogance in its followers. But there is a whole other level of football that is still worthwhile.. and I like to think it lies in the higher level of community involvement and cohesion that it achieves.

So.. I'm not going to let a couple bad fans ruin my appreciation of the game.. but I have taken a hard look recently at the credibility of all of this "football hype". As long as Clemson's performance doesn't alter my overall wellbeing, I think it's fine for me to follow my team passionately and personally. I don't however, want to ever let obsession with my team actually cause me to hate other people for their own allegiances. I may make fun of a lot of other teams (usually it's out of jealousy), but overall I love the sport.. and I love meeting other people who do too. We should focus on that commonality.. and stray away from all the dirty name calling. It really gets us no where in the end.

2 comments:

Anonymous September 16, 2008 at 11:38 AM  

I think you need an entry about your favorite NFL team!

Kristin September 18, 2008 at 2:38 PM  

The Eagles right?! ;)

Follow me on twitter!

About Me

My photo
Tia Nicole Photography has launched this summer after many practice photo sessions and the encouragement of some dear friends and family ("Life Through Tia's Lens" was a recommendation of my good friend, Kristin, who has been an avid supporter the whole way through!). This blog has documented the process from the beginning and also dates back to some older rantings during grad school and football seasons. Feel free to get to know me and my work. I like to focus primarily on natural shots, true emotions and beautiful landscapes. I also absolutely adore kids and pets so you will find a good bit of my work in these areas. Feel free to contact me anytime! I love blog comments!

My pup, Rylynn!

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP