An everyday life kind of post

>> Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's funny how this blog went from a strictly personal and "just because" kind of blog to something that is more purposeful. I read LOTS of photographer's blogs (18 to be precise) and I noticed that a lot of them are surprisingly similar. I think it's mostly because you are a business foremost and you are conscious to present your work first (and then) a little input without going overboard.


Well, the heck with that :). I have never been a person that holds back, so I don't want to diminish my personality in my blog to appear neutral and approachable. Honestly, I keep it brief because blogging takes a lot of time and I'd rather just post pretty pictures and add a couple notes here and there. I think that works the majority of the time, but I still want to blog for the therapeutic benefit as well.

Anyway, life is interesting right now. Very interesting. It's also officially Turkey Day! So there's that. I can also hear my dog snoring very loudly. I'm sitting in my room (should be straightening up for a shower that's happening at our house on Friday) and for whatever reason I feel inspired to write.

As awesome as this photography business has been, I'm having some scary moments right now as well. Scary point number one is money. Money sucks.. I really don't want to let worrying about money consume my life, but it's very hard when you're used to being independent. The fact that I'm still living at home with my parents doesn't help.. though overall it hasn't been as difficult a transition as I thought it would be. Here's the kicker: I feel like my life is continuously on hold until I move out and find my own place. Richard Florida wrote an interesting article on the subject- http://pewsocialtrends.org/pubs/748/recession-brings-many-young-adults-back-to-the-nest. He's also famous for making the proclamation a couple years ago that young adults are increasingly moving to new "creative" cities and are putting off marriage and babies to build stellar careers (and play!). The trend was likely due to the increasing employment opportunities from years ago and it's not surprising that young adults are now needing to return to a more conservative and cautious lifestyle with mom and pops.

I have to admit, I prefer the 'creative class' lifestyle and many days wish I were still living in DC and enjoying the daily changes and adventures. It's a little odd living in a place where everything mostly seems to stay the same. My closest friends are about to embark on a new life with their husbands and I'm very excited for everything they have in store. It's weird to think that they could have babies in the near future... and with that an entire new journey. But for me, however, my daily activities seem to be very similar. I have been blessed to have the opportunity to use my camera every weekend.. and I know I have grown a ton. I have found a community of photographers.. some near and far.. and that has been a wonderful treat! I think I would just rather have these blessings on a daily basis. It would be great to have roommates again. Maybe have a yoga class and a book club to attend whenever possible. I know all of this is most likely a part of my near future (hopefully very near future if one of these 2 employers in Greenville get back to me!). But for now I'm realizing the fate of any new business owner: uncertainty and sacrifice. I've had to alter my lifestyle to pay for lenses and hard drives that break on a whim. I can't really justify a trip to VA or DC on the weekends like I used to. I have to pay back student loans. But, I'm mostly breaking even... and hopefully I will even be profiting a bit as soon as a full time job emerges.

Regardless, I still have a more exciting life than most people are allowed. The grim truth is that I get bored easily and am not completely sure how to appreciate the simple things that make life great. Like my dog. And my parents and brother. I know I'll look back and be so glad that I had this time to reconnect with my family. I just need to suck it up for a little while and know that there are many wonderful days are ahead. Patience isn't my best quality (to say the least)... so these are things I need to work on and pray about.

Hopefully this is an appropriate Thanksgiving post. I really didn't mean to turn this into a "what I am most thankful for" kind of story, but it's funny how that mentality naturally surfaces when we are forced to be honest with ourselves.

I truly hope everyone is blessed through the Holidays and into the new year. I know there are a lot of people who are truly struggling through this recession and my heart goes out to them the most. If you think about it, and can afford it, support your local businesses. Plus, I think you'll find that you enjoy your purchases even more :)

Happy T-giving and GOO Tigers!!

2 comments:

Peter November 29, 2009 at 11:57 PM  

I know exactly how you feel. Keep your chin up Tia. Miss you!

Sarah November 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

Tia, i really like this post..it makes me :) Keep truckin' girl...wonderful, exciting, adventerous, beautiful things are in your future! I'm so glad that you've had this time to reconnect w/ the fam, and capture life w/ your photography...and yes, thank the Lord for dogs!
Can't wait to see you at Christmas! "there is a season for everything..."
Love you friend!

Follow me on twitter!

About Me

My photo
Tia Nicole Photography has launched this summer after many practice photo sessions and the encouragement of some dear friends and family ("Life Through Tia's Lens" was a recommendation of my good friend, Kristin, who has been an avid supporter the whole way through!). This blog has documented the process from the beginning and also dates back to some older rantings during grad school and football seasons. Feel free to get to know me and my work. I like to focus primarily on natural shots, true emotions and beautiful landscapes. I also absolutely adore kids and pets so you will find a good bit of my work in these areas. Feel free to contact me anytime! I love blog comments!

My pup, Rylynn!

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP