Help-Portrait Greenville

>> Sunday, December 13, 2009

Help-Portrait has come and gone and I am now back in Columbia doing my thing (which is nothing). I thoroughly enjoyed this weekend and I'm so glad to have had the time to hang out with Christina and some great new friends. We got to Greenville around 11 and didn't know much of what to expect. We had a slow start but by the end of the day we had about 50 people/families stop by for a free portrait.

I have to admit that I was clueless how to use lighting equipment but I got a good run down from some of the other volunteers. These guys and gals were so smart! Everyone was passionate about photography, modest about how amazing their work is (I checked out a couple websites later) and were genuinely ready to serve. I was impressed.

United Ministries allowed us to use their building and did a great job of getting the word out. I especially loved seeing how close the families were that visited with us. We didn't even have to direct some of the couples in how to pose.. the man would tenderly place his hand on his gal's or the lady would pull into her man's chest and tilt her head towards him. So sweet.

I took my first portrait somewhere around the middle of the day. I shot a slick middle-aged man that came decked out in a tan colored leather jacket. He threw up a peace sign over his heart and gave me a sly smile. I told him this was my first professional portrait and asked if he thought that was cool or if he didn't care. He quickly responded that he didn't care. It got some laughs and I tried not to take it personally.. I'd say it fit the mood of the day just fine.


The day started with polaroid shots of the help-portrait gang

Photographers love polaroids


The editing station was obviously the cool table

There was plenty of time for random shots

Young and oh so talented


Christina and I wandered outside to take some shots for the street ministry. They were serving a deer stew at 4:30 and were preparing the meal for most of the day. I especially loved chatting with the "Bikers For Christ" guys :) Many thanks to Wayne for good conversation and for being dedicated to this ministry for so many years. He's got a heart of gold and I know he's well respected. Sweet people.

The leather jackets are awesome. Love the "Satan Sucks" patch on the front.


Wayne preparing the stew


Got some shots of Christina chatting

It was freezing.. but the predicted sleet thankfully never came

a' workin

chattin'

Shooting away

Time for the message



Good people. Good day.

Christina and I are thinking about starting a Help-Portrait in Columbia. Hopefully we can find a community of photographers that want to get plugged in here... the more the merrier!

3 comments:

christinaheaston December 14, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

What a great day:)
These turned our really good!

PS So, that is what i look like when i talk to people? I just look really confused. haha

Peter December 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM  

Your hair is getting so long. It looks nice.

Tia December 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM  

Haha... I think everyone thinks they look confused in their candid chatting pictures.. I think you look lovely

Peter, yes...it's very long. I seriously can't keep up with it bc it grows so quickly. I'm just not going to fight it anymore :)

Follow me on twitter!

About Me

My photo
Tia Nicole Photography has launched this summer after many practice photo sessions and the encouragement of some dear friends and family ("Life Through Tia's Lens" was a recommendation of my good friend, Kristin, who has been an avid supporter the whole way through!). This blog has documented the process from the beginning and also dates back to some older rantings during grad school and football seasons. Feel free to get to know me and my work. I like to focus primarily on natural shots, true emotions and beautiful landscapes. I also absolutely adore kids and pets so you will find a good bit of my work in these areas. Feel free to contact me anytime! I love blog comments!

My pup, Rylynn!

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP