Every little thing's..gonna be alright

>> Monday, March 1, 2010

First, some house keeping items. My poor little blog has been getting hacked lately (how do they get past those word codes? I can't even get them right half the time.) So for now on I'm moderating my comments before they are posted. Figured I would let you know in case you were wondering why.

Second, this anxious little Southerner is looking for some new photo shoot ideas. I had a ton of fun shooting in the snow, but I'm more than ready to get out on a warm day and get some artsy shots. Who's with me?

I read a blog today in my reader from one of my favorite photographers.. and I can't remember for the life of me which one it was. I swear I scanned through my reader a thousand times this morning but I couldn't find the post. Maybe it's meant to be, since the message was so profound that I don't need all of the text to get bogged down in unnecessary details (though I do wish I could give credit):

"Comfort Kills Creativity"

I think that pretty well describes my life since graduating from VT. I have been 1) uncomfortable and 2) driven to be more creative than I have been since I was a little girl.

That's why I've been trying really hard to remind myself that this period in my life is important. As much as I desperately want a challenging job, financial security and all of that, I forget that the difficulties that come with not having these securities are making me a more well-rounded person. Sure, I still get pessimistic, frustrated and jealous of my friends who seem to have a lot more figured out.. but I'm also realizing that there are other things that can make me happy. Not saying this is the best time in my life.. just saying I have learned how to adapt to a situation that would normally be extremely stressful and find some beauties in it. More specifically, when times are tough our bodies push us towards survival and away from despair (thank goodness).

I went to the Watershed in Lexington last night and really connected to the speaker's main message:

"Faith isn't about growing closer to God in order to avoid despair.. it's about finding joy in those desperate times"

Or something like that.

Very true. Very true.

It's also interesting to me that the world seems to be falling apart during my "stressful" unemployment stage. Honestly, it's very hard for me to feel sorry for myself when you see the grief happening in Haiti and Chile. I have a very nice roof over my head, family that loves me very much, great health, a growing photography business, an awesome dog and time to hang out with friends outside of work. My greatest concern is that I'm not contributing to a 401K and my resume is kind of bleak for this year of my life.

Seriously?? This is my biggest concern?

I guess if you're an ambitious person, not having a challenging job is one of the worst things that can happen to you. Fair enough. I just like that I can still be gently reminded that I'm not the only person struggling through this right now and maybe, just maybe, I'm going to learn a very valuable lesson from it all. The first being that I'm going to seriously appreciate my next job. Like.. REALLY appreciate it. I've always worked hard.. that's a given. But to know what I know now, I think it's going to be a little bit harder to complain on those not-so-fun days. (Friends, please hold me to this.. m'kay? ;)

Here's a photo from Help-Portrait in Greenville with Christina. Another event that might not have happened had I found a full time job right out of grad school.



Cheers and happy Monday!

2 comments:

Keenan March 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM  

I enjoyed the blog, thanks for being so transparent.
You will go crazy if you continue to compare yourself to other people. My theory is that you should only compare yourself to only yourself! If you compare yourself to people who are more skilled than you, you risk the feeling of inadequacy. If you compare yourself to people that are less skilled than you, then you run the risk of inflating reality (hay that rhymes!). I’m sure your same friends who have “it figured out” are thinking that you “Tia has it figured out.” I share this with you because my wife dealt with being unemployed for a good while. It sucks, no doubt. But it is unfair to base your worth in regards to your employment status during this time of economic peril. By the way, my wife got a job and she HATES it! I’m sure she would rather be unemployed if it meant that she would later find a job that she loves.
I admire that you have embraced your current situation to evolve your creativity. Rob Bell did a speaking tour called “Drop Like Stars” that totally alluded to being creative in a time of despair and suffering. Thank you for putting life in perspective with Haiti and Chile, I needed a reminder because I’m currently having my own “stressful” moment. You are a talented photographer and a wonderful person. This job thing is just a season. But I’m sure you have already figured that out. Thanks for embracing your situation and sharing how it has empowered you.

p.s. If you would like a cool photo shoot opportunity, I think I will be in McBee, SC sometime this month doing prescribed fires on a Wildlife Refuge. Nothing like taking shots of people setting the woods on fire. You will have dirty sweaty faces, fire, and smoke. I’ll double check to see if you will be allowed to take some shots.

Tia March 5, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

Hey Keenan! Thanks for the encouragement! It's definitely great to hear and it never gets old :)

Keep me updated for the potential shoot this month in McBee.. sounds like that could be a lot of fun!

Follow me on twitter!

About Me

My photo
Tia Nicole Photography has launched this summer after many practice photo sessions and the encouragement of some dear friends and family ("Life Through Tia's Lens" was a recommendation of my good friend, Kristin, who has been an avid supporter the whole way through!). This blog has documented the process from the beginning and also dates back to some older rantings during grad school and football seasons. Feel free to get to know me and my work. I like to focus primarily on natural shots, true emotions and beautiful landscapes. I also absolutely adore kids and pets so you will find a good bit of my work in these areas. Feel free to contact me anytime! I love blog comments!

My pup, Rylynn!

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP